Tower of London

Tower of London

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Things I Won't Miss About Edinburgh

The entrance into Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh, I am so sorry. It's not you. It's me. I promise. You put on your best face for me. I really wished it didn't end this way. But, let's be honest. It would only be a matter of time before you resented my false sentiments and would feel like you had been used. It is better that we remember the good times and go our separate ways. We will always have the Highland Games.

What, you need to know what it was exactly? I don't think this is a good idea. Like I said, you put your best foot forward. It is my fault that I am disagreeable. Well, okay. If you must know:

* Train Rides. (It is no secret that I LOVE train rides. Love, love, love them. But not in Scotland. I was so sick I actually felt like the color green. No, not just a little nauseous green. And I am not talking Irish green. I mean putrid, stomach-turning, just looking at it makes you feel sick green. Not fun.)

* Never feeling safe, especially at night. (There is just something about the city that has you on your guard all of the time. Even if you are in a group, you never feel really certain that you will be safe. I'll take the pushing and shoving of Londoners over this unease any day.)

* Our lodgings. (Okay, so I know they were better than the castle everyone else stayed in, long story and so not as cool as you would think, but still. A little customer service never hurt anyone. AND, if the washer and dryer don't work, then tell the guests. It is far better than them having to travel from Scotland to Ireland with wet clothes. True story. Not cool. Cute room. Couldn't pay ME to stay there again. So. Not. Cool.)

* Castles. (I just don't care. And this goes for all three countries. Yes, I know I am a big jerk. And yes, I realize I am a hypocrite since I absolutely loved the Tower of London which was far more castle than battle field. But I do not care about how the uber powerful and rich live. I care about how they treat their peasants and whether they care for their sick, hungry, and poor. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but I am okay with that.) (BTW, do you know that Queen Elizabeth has a CASTLE that she stays in each summer when she summers in Edinburgh? See what I mean? When was the last time she rode the tube? Holly, I know I told you this was silly, but you are so right!)

* I had a sadness set in. Something about Edinburgh. I feel the same way when I go to Maine. I love New England, but there is just an overwhelming sadness that envelops me when I am there. Maybe I just need to spend more time there to understand.

Okay, Edinburgh, I think that is enough for now. I know they don't seem all that big, but it is the quality and not the quantity. See, now I didn't want to have to hurt feelings here.

So Edinburgh, I bid you adieu. I wish only the best for you. Someday you will realize it is all for the best. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment